Did You Know
- The first colonists of Virginia sailed from the Blackwall Steps, just minutes from Blackwall Yard, in 1606
- The wider Blackwall Yard district was an important shipbuilding site since 1617, with the original Blackwall Dock was opened by the East India Company
- From the 17th century Poplar provided homes for workers at the docks that lined the riverfront from Limehouse around the Isle of Dogs to Blackwall. It became one of London’s first truly multi-ethnic districts, with inhabitants of Indian, Chinese and north African origin.
- Blackwall Yard played an active role in Britain’s war effort in WWI as a repair point for munitions ships, hospital ships and destroyers.
- Blackwall Yard's graving dock has not been used for more than 50 years, and has been inaccessible to the public for the last 30.